Merrick Dog Food Reviews, Recalls and Legacy
Table of Contents
“My dog poops a lot. I mean, A LOT” or “Mine is a lazy bum compared to the furry devil next door” or “Max scratches his itch like crazy.” Possibility is, you’ve all said these lines about your dogs to someone.
Stop scratching your heads. The problem doesn’t or won’t go away over a few trips down the park. If you are not changing the food you’ve been feeding to your furry friend, you are missing out on the cure.
Many of us don’t see it right away but our dogs develop allergies or can’t digest a particular brand. Chances are, they don’t like it either.
What to do? Switch to a reliable and reputed brand that others use. If you are dwindling on the fact, “What to choose?” I have THE PERFECT ANSWER. When in doubt, go for Merrick Read my guide on Merrick Dog Food Reviews and Recalls to see why I am so frantically referring this brand to you guys!
Merrick Dog Food – Comparison Table
Merrick’s Background in Brief
Merrick is a reputed dog and cat food manufacturer company that has been in operation since 1988. Unlike others, Merrick Dog Food franchise is based in Amarillo, Texas. So, you can be rest assured that the recipes are produced here in the US.
The founder Garth Merrick can take pride in the fact that his company is responsible for producing some of the “Key” dog food recipes that are providing nutrition to canines of all breeds all over the world.
Merrick dog food reviews have mentioned quite a few “Recalls” in the past. But believe me, it happens with every dog food brand. Recalls are good in my book. Recalls mean that you are super conscious about your food’s quality and are doing the assessment right.
Since Nestle Purina took over Merrick, many assumed that the formulas of this famous brand’s recipes are going to change. But that didn’t happen. Nestle Purina kept the food formulas as they were.
Merrick has enjoyed a bed of roses with the customers. Plus, the scrutiny for quality has been tighter than ever. That is why Nestle Purina didn’t want to break the mold even after the merger.
So, you will get the top quality food that you have always come to expect from this reputed dog food brand.
My Top Merrick Dog Food Reviews
Reviewing a Top Dog Food Brand like Merrick and choosing just the one “Best” is a job hard on all fronts. So, I did the next best thing. I read quite a few Merrick Dog Food Review posts, tested a few on my dogs and compiled a list of top dog food choices (both canned and dry) from this brand. Go ahead, take a look.
1. Merrick Grain Free Dry Dog Food
Merrick produces a number of the top-ranking dog foods that are available today. This Grain Free Dry Dog Food is surely one of them. This dog food item does not contain any big pieces or grains for that matter.
The food is easy to digest, and so your dog will be satisfied with their meals and will not feel unnecessarily full. This also means that they will not face any digestion related problems. In fact, they will be able to absorb all the nutrients from the food.
You can feed this to your dog regardless of their breed or age. Believe me, I saw my friends using this brand for over three years! I am not kidding when I say, this Merrick dog food helps to maintain a healthy and active life.
The Grain-free Dry Dog Food contains naturally produced ingredients. This negates the use of anything artificial, be that flavors or preservatives. The food has its own taste and it is found almost all types of dogs love to eat this.
The ratio of meat proteins to fresh produce is 70:30. The meat protein comes from the deboned chicken, chicken meal and turkey meal present in the food. And the rest 40 percent comes from the sweet potatoes, potatoes, flaxseed, peas, blueberries etc.
These ingredients help to keep your dog fit and running. The food has high levels of protein, Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids, glucosamine and chondroitin. Each of them helps your dog in different ways.
The protein helps to build lean and strong body muscles. Omega fatty acids keep the skin healthy and the fur coat shiny. And the glucosamine and chondroitin make sure that the every joint is fit and healthy.
- This recipe is high on protein rather than carbohydrates.
- This Dry Dog Food doesn’t cause upset tummy for your beloved friend.
- Manufactured in USA, you’ll have a top-notch product at your disposal.
- This recipe is affordable and yet doesn’t shy away from offering quality nutrients.
- You get to choose from multiple package sizes and protein sources.
- Protein ratio is a bit too much if you want to nitpick at all.
2. Merrick 1-Count Backcountry Big Game Recipe
The Merrick 1 Backcountry dog food is a great choice for any adult dog. It gives them the energy and stamina they need to maintain an active life. It is natural in both ingredients and taste.
While most dog foods can’t actually provide a natural taste, one that your canine friend would have tasted in the wild, this Backcountry Big Game Recipe can.
This has been possible since there are no artificial preservatives or flavor. All the ingredients used in this dog food recipe are organic and come directly from Merrick’s own organically certified kitchens in the USA. This negates any risk of allergy reaction and digestion related problems.
Merrick is a reliable name for any dog owner. This is a special blend of dog food that contains exotic proteins like rabbit, venison and salmon. These elements grant the food its distinct natural flavor.
This flavor helps our canine friend to easily like the new food on their plate from the very beginning. Along with these proteins, there are fresh cut vegetables grown naturally in the USA Farms.
The main protein ingredient is deboned chicken. The boneless chicken is rich in Omega fatty acids, which help to keep these beasts’ skin healthy and their fur shiny.
Plus, there are freeze dried raw meat and high-protein kibble that makes sure every dog is satisfied with their meals. “Kibbles” are easy to chew and swallow. Hence, I vote this to be fed to puppies, young adults, and seniors alike.
This particular formula does not contain any grain or gluten. This makes it easy for them to digest the food and absorb all the nutrition from it.
- Omega-3 fatty grant a shiny coat and allergy-free skin to your beloved dogs.
- This one comes with blueberries and sweet potatoes that increase the taste while providing the nutrients too.
- Backcounty Big game recipe is easy on your four-legged friends’ digestive tracts; they can digest it just fine.
- If you provide your dog too much of this stuff, it can be hard to absorb all at once for him.
3. Merrick Grain Free Puppy Recipe Dry Dog Food
Merrick is a brand that produces dog food for dogs of all ages and breeds. If you have a pup, you should try their Grain Free Puppy Recipe. It has a 4.5 stars rating on Amazon and has got mostly positive reviews.
It is important that you are feeding your growing puppy enough nutrient, protein, carbohydrate, and antioxidants. In the growing stage, puppies need special care so that they can live a healthy life in the future. The Merrick Puppy Recipe is one of the best choices in this regard.
My puppies started to love this food product from the first time they had a taste of it. This formula will make sure that your pup’s energy requirement is met properly. If you need someone to vouch for the quality, come find me!
The reason why pups love this dog food is that it contains all natural ingredients with their natural tastes kept intact. All of the ingredients are procured from the local farmers in the USA and then cooked in organically certified kitchens which are also in the USA.
The main five ingredients are deboned chicken, chicken meal, potatoes, peas and sweet potatoes. It contains 55% protein and fat and 45% vitamins and minerals. It is a grain free recipe, so your pup can easily digest and absorb all the nutrients from the food.
This amazing formula from Merrick contains Omega 3 and 6 Fatty Acids that help to keep their skin healthy and fur coat shiny, glucosamine and chondroitin that keep the hips and joints fit and strong. There are no filler ingredients and so it ensures that your puppy is getting a wholesome meal.
- This dog food comes with a taste your puppies will fall in love with.
- It doesn’t have filler ingredients that make your puppy unnecessarily full.
- Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids provide a shiny coat and glittering skin very early on in your dog’s life.
- It comes with variable weight options for you to choose from and purchase.
- This food caters to puppies of all breeds and sizes.
- I couldn’t really find any fault with this dog food formula from Merrick.
4. Merrick Lil Plates Grain Free Small Breed Recipe
Merrick Dog Food Reviews all over the internet will tell you, this age-old brand has produced a range of dog food products specially prepared for the smaller breeds. And the Lil Plates Small Breed Recipe is one of them. It is prepared with all the nutritional elements your small canine friend like a “Pug” will need.
You can feed them this dog food throughout their life. The first five ingredients include deboned chicken, chicken meal, turkey meal, sweet potatoes, and potatoes. It is grain fee and contains small food portions. This makes it easy for our small four legged friends to eat, digest and absorb the food. It contains probiotics that particularly help in digestion.
This Merrick dog food contains a 70% to 30% ratio of protein and vitamins, all of which are derived from food items freshly grown in the farms inside the USA. You will not find any corn, wheat, soy, gluten or any sort of filler item. Allergies? Indigestion? Troubled tummy? Tell your li’l friend to kiss them goodbye!
Through this dog food, the little devils will be able to get all the energy they need for leading a healthy and active life. You can easily notice the effects a week in. As it is an all-natural dog food, adorable furballs will love the taste of the fresh ingredients.
The Omega 3 and 6 Fatty Acids will keep their skin and fur coat healthy and shiny. Their hips and joints will remain strong owing to the minerals, glucosamine, and chondroitin in the food. That is, this Merrick product will keep both you and your tiny pet happy! What more can you ask for?
- This dog food variety is particularly made to be consumed by puppies and small dogs.
- This formula includes vitamins and minerals tailored for the smaller dog breeds.
- Our canine friends will love this formula even if they are picky eaters.
- This dog food is especially helpful in reducing allergies and skin troubles.
- Carbohydrate count is a bit too high for my liking in relation with the protein.
5. Merrick 1 Count Classic Small Breed Recipe, 4 lb
At this point on our list, let us look for a Merrick options for grownups that belong to a “Small Dog Breed.” The Merrick 1 Count Classic Recipe is the answer to this bug of a question.
Every ingredient of this dog food is prepared to make sure your small doggo buddies get a wholesome and nutritious meal. All of the ingredients are produced in the farms inside the USA. This provides the food with a freshness that most dog foods lack.
The key ingredient is the signature “Deboned Chicken” which provides a maximum of the protein in the food. In fact, the recipe contains 60% protein along with 20% minerals and vitamins and 20% whole grains.
Besides chicken, other major ingredients are the chicken meal, turkey meal, peas and brown rice. This small breed recipe contains a blend of whole grains including brown rice and quinoa. This blend is rich in fibers and carbohydrates essential for your grown up buddy.
However, no potatoes have been used in this dog food. It also does not have any corn, wheat or soy in the recipe. But there are other freshly grown fruits and vegetables like carrots, apples, blueberries and more.
As it is prepared for dogs of small breeds, it has small food portions (AKA Kibbles) so that they can chew and enjoy the food. Plus, it makes it easy for them to digest and absorb the food nutrients, which ultimately help in their excretion process.
1-Count Classic Small Breed Recipe is rich in Omega Fatty Acids, Glucosamine, chondroitin, and antioxidants. These help to keep them safe from diseases and keep their skin and fur healthy and their joints fit and strong.
- This is the perfect dog food for dogs that are of small breeds.
- Multiple Merrick dog food reviews mention that this recipe is easy to digest for the dogs.
- The “Fiber-Rich” recipe keeps your little friend active all throughout the day.
- Keep feeding it to your dogs regularly. Rest assured, the joint troubles of your friends will disappear.
- Chondroitin and Glucosamine keep the fur-balls safe from diseases.
- Larger dogs may not like these kibbles for the taste.
6. Merrick Classic Grain-Free Canned Dog Food, 13.2 oz, 12 count
The Classic Canned Dog Food on my list is prepared for all breeds of dogs and for all life stages. Yup, it is a CANNED dog food for a change! It contains ingredients rich in vitamins, proteins, and fibers, all of which are essential in every stage of a dog’s life. Plus, they are all natural and so do not contain any artificial flavors or preservatives.
Our furry beasts get to enjoy a healthy and tasty meal through this version of dog food. It does not contain any grain or any type of filler material. This makes sure that your dog does not get unnecessarily full. Rather they get to satisfy their appetite with every meal.
And since it is grain free, they can digest and absorb every bit of the food, which will further ensure a healthy digestive and excretory system.
This key protein ingredient Cowboy Cookout Merrick dog food is beef. This beef is procured from the farms located in the USA and is fully organic. This means the protein content of the meat is more than most dog foods even within Merrick.
Furthermore, it comes with ample fat for providing energy and body heat. Along with beef, the recipe also contains sweet potatoes, carrots, green beans, granny smith apples, blueberries, canola oil, olive oil, flax oil and more.
The USP of this dog food is that it tastes so good as if it was prepared at your home. That is why every dog will love it. This is a 12 count product, which means in one box you will 12 cans of Merrick dog food.
- The can that packages this recipe is BPA-free; you don’t have to worry about.
- This canned dog food comes as a gravy; it is easy to digest compared to other alternatives.
- Our canine friends will get body heat and energy out of it making the food a catalyst for an active day.
- This recipe is made out of organic materials that are free of preservatives or added chemicals.
- This food product is produced in Merrick’s own kitchen in the USA.
- Some of your dogs might not like this thing despite it being filled with quality ingredients.
7. Merrick Grain-Free Healthy Weight Recipe
Obesity is as much harmful to our dogs as it is for us. But we must also feed our four legged friends enough to fulfill their nutritional and energy requirements. However, dogs love protein and fats in their foods. So which dog food should you go for? Try the Grain Free Weight Recipe by Merrick.
Among the first five ingredients, the main one is deboned beef. It is a low-fat protein source that delivers high protein levels. The other ingredients are the chicken meal, potatoes, peas and sweet potatoes. In fact, beef comprises 32% out of the 55% protein in the food.
The rest of the protein comes from poultry and fish used in this recipe. The rest of the 45% contains vitamins, minerals, and fresh produce.
Every ingredient used in this Weight Control Recipe comes from the local farms and so it is as fresh as you can ask for. The flavors remain intact, which helps the dogs to love and enjoy their meal. This dog food will help to maintain your dog’s weight and even help in losing it. As the name says, it is grain free and it does not contain any wheat, soy, corn or gluten.
This makes the food easy to eat, easy to digest and easy to excrete like the other Merrick Products on my list today. The food is rich in fibers, but there are no extra fat or calories, Omega 3 and 6 Fatty Acids, Glucosamine, Antioxidants and Chondroitin. These nutrients keep your dog safe from diseases, their skin and coat shiny and their bones and joints strong. And so your dog gets to enjoy a healthy and active life.
- If your dog is diabetic, this recipe is “Tailor-made” for your dog.
- This formula from Merrick helps your dog to lose weight and counter obesity.
- This high protein diet builds up muscle mass as noted in many Merrick Dog Food Reviews.
- Antioxidants in this diet keep your pets active and ready for training throughout the day.
- Bigger packages of this dog food come with a bigger price tag.
8. Merrick Dry Dog Food with Vitamins & Minerals for All Breeds
Dogs have their own appetite. It might so happen that while one dog likes chicken, the other may not. And some dogs prefer simple kind of foods containing a limited number of ingredients. See where I am getting at?
Yes, Merrick produces a dog food which comes off as a limited ingredient diet as well! Their Dry Dog Food which is rich in vitamins and minerals gets its protein from lamb. In many cases, it has been found that lamb meat is better than beef, chicken or turkey. If you are in for high-quality protein for your adorable pets, lamb is the route you should take. I listed amino acids, vitamins, and minerals among other ingredients as well.
The protein in this dog food comes from a single source, that is, lamb and so it does not contain chicken, turkey, beef, fish, eggs or dairy. Moreover, there are no filler ingredients like soy, wheat, corn or gluten in this Merrick recipe.
Along with lamb, there is lamb meal, sweet potatoes, peas, potatoes, sunflower oil, organic alfalfa, rosemary extract and added vitamins and minerals. The dog food is grain free and so it is easy to digest.
In fact, this dog food helps your dog to maintain a healthy digestion system. The ingredients are naturally produced, which means the taste and flavor of the food will also feel natural. Dogs will love the lamb in the recipe which does not contain artificial preservatives or flavors.
This limited ingredient dog food is mainly prepared for the grownup dogs of all breeds. The nutrients in the food will keep your dog healthy, their bone and joints strong and their skin and coat shiny.
- You get different protein sources with a number of options that Merrick provides you.
- Protein makes for a healthy digestive system and the process.
- Only a single source of protein is present in the recipe and no artificial colors to disrupt metabolism.
- Glucosamine and Chondroitin help to keep the joints of your dog in good shape.
- This thing is the ideal recipe you can provide your canine beast to treat his/her allergies.
- I found this Merrick Dog Food to be a bit pricier than the others.
9. Merrick Grain Free Kitchen Bites Dog Treats, 9 oz
The penultimate product on my Merrick Dog Food Reviews today is Grain Free Kitchen Bites. This food item has a unique trait. Manufacturers have tested it on dogs for taste and effectiveness!
Your dog is sure to love this dog food as it has all natural taste and flavor, as the ingredients are organic and freshly produced by local farmers.
This Merrick product comes with the nutrients essential for the growth and development of a dog in every stage of his/her life. Before you all go all haywire on me, it does not contain any ingredient from China at all.
This one is also free of artificial flavors and preservatives, which reduces the risk of any type of allergy reaction. Plus, there are no filler ingredients like soy, corn or gluten which would make your dog unnecessarily full but would not provide any energy.
There are no grains or large bites in the food as well. So your dog can enjoy the food and easily digest it. And easy digestion means easy absorption of nutrients.
However, the best thing about this dog food is the way in which ingredients are incorporated. The key protein ingredient of the food is deboned chicken. Other ingredients include chicken fat, dried potatoes, dried sweet potatoes, peas, dried carrots, flax seed, dried apples, brown sugar, rosemary, thyme, sage etc.
The recipe is inspired by the Merrick family’s Grammy’s Pot Pie. The meat, veggies, and seasonings are prepared in a way that gives the food the taste of Grammy’s Pot Pie. This is how the food becomes a natural baked treat which your dog will love from the very first day they try it.
- Even if your dog is picky about food, he’ll like this recipe from Merrick.
- This recipe is put together using “Everyday Food Items” for your four-legged friends.
- This Merrick dog diet cured itchy skin of my dog.
- Made with attractive food ingredients.
- This is a naturally baked food without any added preservatives or chemicals.
- This thing might get stale pretty quickly if you don’t pay attention.
10. Merrick Whole Earth Farms Grain-Free Adult - 12 x 12.7 oz
Our canine friends have made our lives fun and happening. Seeing them melt when you pat them or rub their belly makes any boring day joyful. So it is our responsibility that we also give them the best we can. Even when the budget is a concern, you can easily get the Merrick Whole Earth Farms dog food for them.
All of the ingredients are directly taken from the earth and put into the food. That is, the ingredients are produced locally inside the USA and so they are fresh and organic.
This negates the use of any kind of artificial flavors or preservatives for that matter. The ingredients have their own natural flavor which makes your dogs fall in love with their meals.
The protein ingredients of this Merrick dog food are chicken, turkey, chicken broth, chicken liver, whitefish, yeast culture and dried eggs. These have been incorporated with sweet potatoes, peas, organic alfalfa, blueberries, flaxseed oil, olive oil etc.
And to add a distinct and delicious flavor, Merrick has used cinnamon, rosemary, sage, thyme and yucca schidigera extract. It is grain free and so your dog can easily digest the food. And this also helps in maintaining a healthy digestive system.
All of the ingredients provide protein, fiber, calories, vitamins, minerals, and amino acids. It is a canned dog food, so the moisture content is quite high i.e. 78%. There are 12 cans in every box you purchase and each of them weighs 12.7 ounces.
- The ingredients’ list features some of the nutritious ones responsible for good growth of a dog.
- You won’t find grains in this recipe; your dog is safe from allergies.
- You can even mix it with other dry dog diets directly after unpacking.
- Taste is reasonably good for your adult dogs.
- This thing is not meant for puppies of any dog breed.
Merrick Dog Food Recalls
As famous Merrick is, as a dog food brand, it has had its fair share of recalls in the past. Let us go over few of the significant recall incidents that took place beginning in the year 2010.
- In 2010, Merrick pulled “Beef Fillet Square” out of the market voluntarily. They suspected a possible Salmonella infestation.
- In January 2011, Merrick recalled Junior Texas Taffy Dog Food due to the same reason. A possible Salmonella contamination.
- The next recall came in the month of August, 2011. This time, it happened to Doggie Wishbone Pet Treats over the Salmonella contamination.
- The last recall happened in 2012. Merrick recalled All Natural Beef Chewy Dog Treats.
Why Am I Choosing Merrick Despite All the Recalls?
Like many of the other dog owners, I too desire what is best for my dogs at home. That includes food supplies and diet charts. I read dozens of Merrick Dog Food Reviews before zeroing on the product that I needed from the lineup. It is safe to say Merrick caters all the needs of my dogs.
Having said that, Merrick has some unique characteristics that are pretty hard to find these days. The company calls these “The 5-star Promise” Let me list a few which influenced me to choose this dog diet in the first place.
- Merrick claims that all the ingredients are collected from the US. Farmers and ranchers grow and collect beef, chicken, venison, lamb, and others from their own farms and ranches to ensure authenticity.
- These guys don’t add any artificial elements in their ingredients. Even the meat is real.
- After collecting the ingredients, the authorities process and produce the recipes in Merrick’s own facilities across the USA. Plus, these guys have put a strict FDA policy to maintain the promised quality of these food items.
- If you are worried about what your dog is eating after you choose Merrick, don’t worry at all! According to Merrick Dog Food Reviews by experts, the premier ingredient of the recipes is always a USDA certified item. Authorities use fresh produce in the making of these recipes.
- All the efforts will go to waste if the dog food you choose doesn’t taste good to your puppies, adults, and senior dogs. Plus, you need to check on the nutrition value as well. Merrick takes care of these issues in a unique way.
My Merrick dog food review will tell you that majority of the recipes come with five to seven ingredients. In other words, they mostly keep manufacturing Limited Ingredient Dog Foods to keep the quality intact.
The best thing about this brand is, despite the recalls and the company takeover, it has bounced back and kept inventing recipes that have passed the test of taste and nutrition over and over again. Merrick keeps topping other brands in terms of quality, affordability, and dedication.
Ending The Article on a High Note!
My Merrick Dog Food Reviews and Recall Guide might be humongous, but it is totally worth your time. Especially, if you are looking for a reliable brand to stick with for a long time, THIS IS IT! Merrick has been there, done that and still is doing it with its tall tree of dog food formulas.
Snatching a few of them for your gang of dogs is really easy! Just see what your dog needs and formulate an eating habit for your friend. Then simply hit the buy now button of the recipe that is right for you and follow the instructions by the book. You’ll get yourselves dog foods that are worth every penny you pay!