Best Joint Supplement for Dogs in 2023 – Guide & Reviews
Table of Contents
While there are many products in the market targeted at your dog’s joint health, few offer that level of health care your dog deserves. The most common approach that dog owners use to choose from the product range is getting advice from their friends or the local vets. This review of some of the best dog joint supplements should offer good alternatives.
Experienced dog owners will have some knowledge of the best joint supplements for their dogs. However, the less experienced dog owners as well as the first time dog owners may benefit from this review of some of the best products. Although some of the products reviewed are designed to be chewed while others mixed with food, I would recommend finding out what works best for your own dog. It is also wise to consider the additional mineral and micronutrients included in each specific product to avoid vitamin and mineral overdose.
Best Joint Supplement for Dogs – Comparison
|Image||Product Name||Ingredients||Our Rating||Price|
|TerraMax Pro||Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM, Manganese, Hyaluronic Acid.||4.9/5||Check Price|
|NutramaxDasuquin with MSM||Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM.||4.8/5||Check Price|
|Dog Dailies Advanced||Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM, cQ10, omega oils and vitamins.||4.8/5||Check Price|
|Extend Nutritional Supplement||Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM.||4.7/5||Check Price|
|NutramaxCosequin DS Plus MSM||Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM, organic sulfur.||4.8/5||Check Price|
|Genuine Naturals||Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM, Turmeric, organic sulfur, various vitamins, and minerals.||4.7/5||Check Price|
|Infinite Pet Hip and Joint Supplement||Glucosamine, Chondroitin, MSM.||4.8/5||Check Price|
Best Dog Joint Supplement Reviews
1. TerraMax Pro Hip and Joint Supplement for Dogs
TerraMax Pro is the product of one of a widely known canine health supplement maker in the United States. The joint health supplement offers dog owners with a tried and tested formula that has undergone two decades of research and study. TerraMax Pro comes in liquid form making it easy to mix in the canine’s food or water. Additionally, the liquid formulation makes it easier to absorb once in the dog’s joint and support system. Another benefit of the liquid health supplements is that it makes administration easier especially among dogs that are fussy about tablets.
The manufacturers of TerraMax Pro chose the ingredients of their dog joint supplement quite carefully in order to maximize its benefits on your animal. Each single ounce of this joint health supplement contains about 1600mg of Glucosamine, which is sourced from shellfish to reduce the chances of allergic reactions. It also contains 1200mg of Chondroitin Sulphate sourced from beef products making it easy on fussy canines. 1000mg of Methyl-Sulfanylmethane (MSM), 7mg of Manganese Chelate, and 10mg of Hyaluronic Acid complete the formulation resulting in an-rounded joint and support system remedy. I would recommend TerraMax Pro because of the last group of minerals and other micronutrients. They optimize the dog’s ability to assimilate and use the three main ingredients in rehabilitating old and injured joint tissue.
I would recommend TerraMax Pro for dogs that suffer from allergies because each of its ingredients has a low allergy risk. Although there are few reports of diarrhea and vomiting in the first few days of using this dog joint supplement, it is a common phenomenon across all products with MSM and Glucosamine. Consider reversing these side effects by lowering the initial dosage, which is easy with TerraMax Pro because of its liquid state.
- Comes in liquid form making absorption both easier and faster.
- Contains no sugar, soy, starch, or gluten meaning the chance of allergic reactions is minimal.
- Has the highest amount of Glucosamine, Chondroitin and MSM in the market meaning optimal cartilage growth and overall joint health.
- Liquid formulation makes adjusting the dosage easier than tablets and dog biscuits.
- High doses of Glucosamine, Chondroitin, and MSM cause some dogs mild side effects such as vomiting and diarrhoea.
- Inclusion of Aloe Vera as an inactive ingredient could irritate some dog’s alimentary canal.
2. NutramaxDasuquin with MSM Chewable Tablets for Dogs
If you are one of those dog owners who are constantly worried about the best joint supplement for older dogs then this product is for you. Dasuquin is a common remedy even among vets for dog owners complaining of joint, hip, and support problems in older dogs. Apart from pain relief, the joint supplement’s ingredients are formulated from natural sources and combined in such a way that older dogs can comfortably assimilate. Such concern for this unique group of dogs makes Dasuquin a market leader in terms of dog joint supplements.
I recommend this joint supplement based on the natural ingredients that provide a dual synergistic remedy for dog owners. Its Glucosamine, MSM, and Chondroitin come from all natural sources. Any other additives are also sourced from vegetables and other natural plant or animal sources. Older dogs need natural remedies for problems such as joint immobility and joint pain due to their age. Additionally, these natural products leave little or no side effects compared with contemporary health products.
One characteristic among the best joint supplement for dogs is their efficacy once in the canine’s system. Dasuquin has one of the highest efficacies among other similar products making it a favorite among health-conscious dog owners. Although the product comes in form of chewable tablets, its high efficacy rates and use of natural ingredients means fewer chances of fussiness or the need to adjust dosage. For those worried about the tablets troubling their smaller dogs, there is a soft chew form of tablet. The availability of two forms of tablets makes Dasuquin one of the best products since it serves a wider variety of dogs than most products.
- The product offers comfort and pain relief for many dogs with joint problems.
- It is available in solid and soft gel tablets making it easier to use.
- Your pets’ overall mobility increases after taking this supplement for a while.
- It offers different dosages for large and small dogs.
- It is relatively expensive usually selling above many of the best joint supplements for dogs.
- Some dogs suffer severe side effects such as diarrhea and vomiting.
- It contains ingredients such as soy and starch that could affect allergic dogs.
3. Dog Dailies Advanced Hip and Joint Supplement for Dogs
Most dog joint supplements claim to be formulated using natural products and come in easy to use forms for older or small dogs. Few of these supplements have concentrated on hip and joint articulation as well as ‘Doggie Dailies Advanced Hip & Joint Supplement for Dogs’. In addition to the common mix of Glucosamine, MSM, and Chondroitin, this product makes use of Hylauronic Acid, which is an essential part of the synovial fluid. Such concern for your dog’s articular lubrication is one of the reasons I would recommend this unique product for all dog owners.
Doggie Dailies does not stop there in its quest to rid your dog of joint health issues. The manufacturers have added special micronutrients such as co-enzyme Q10. Combined with essential oils such as Omega-3, Omega-6 oils, Vitamin E and salmon oil, this co-enzyme reduces inflammation, joint pain and sorts out all joint mobility problems.
I would recommend this dog joint supplement for dogs that suffer from arthritis based on these unique ingredients. Since this debilitating disease comes with serious joint inflammation, pain, and joint immobilization among older dogs, this supplement would work well in alleviating these problems. Additionally, the micronutrients also serve to improve the health and appearance of your dog’s hair and skin.
- It has additional ingredients that combat inflammation in the joint tissues.
- Some of the ingredients have additional benefits such as essential oil that care for the skin.
- The product is usable by owners of both young and older dogs.
- It is relatively cheap and contains no chemical additives.
- The addition of essential oils and vitamins in the formula could lead to vitamin overdose.
- Some dogs do not respond well to supplements containing too many vitamins and essential oils.
4. Extend Nutritional Supplement for Dogs
Extend Joint Care is another good example of the best joint supplements for dogs. Extend Pet Health who market is a supplement that caters to the joint health of aging dogs manufactures the supplement. The product also caters to the support system by targeting the dog’s bones and cartilage. Therefore, although your aging or arthritis-inflicted canine may suffer some compromised joint health, Extend Joint Care offers adequate assistance in reversing the effects of age on your dog.
I recommend this product to dog owners whose canines either suffer from arthritis, or have started experiencing the effects of aging. Extend Joint Care also caters to the pains and injuries that large dogs suffer in their joints and bones due to larger body mass. Combined with unique ingredients that help your dog’s coat and eyes, Extend Joint Care seems to target older dogs. However, the special formulation makes it usable by owners of younger, smaller and any dog breed. The only precaution dog owners must be keen on is the dosage as it affects the product’s efficacy.
Extend Joint Care tablets contain 100% all natural ingredients sourced from high quality plant and animal sources. These are as follows:
Glucosamine – An amino sugar used in most joint health supplements
MSM – Methylsulfonylmethane – Is a compound that naturally occurs in plants and assists rehabilitate joints.
Type II Chicken Collagen – Rehabilitates and maintains healthy cartilage.
Ascorbic Acid – Vitamin sourced from the citrus family and it helps the immune system.
The makers of Extend Joint Care state that its formulation is backed by clinical research and numerous positive feedbacks from satisfied customers. However, as with all health supplements, consult your vet before using it to get the green light due to the risk of serious side effects and allergy in some dog breeds. Otherwise, this dog joint supplement is usable in both young and older dogs, small and large ones, and most dog breeds. It should offer the joint health supplementation your canine needs while rehabilitating injured support tissue.
- It is suitable for old dogs and those suffering from arthritis.
- Comes in beef flavor that is suitable to your dog’s palate
- Has a 30-day trial offer that makes sense of such an expensive product.
- Made with pure human-grade ingredients
- It is among the most expensive dog joint supplements available online.
- The presence of chicken collagen in the formula might put some sensitive dog breeds off.
5. Nutramax Cosequin DS PLUS MSM Chewable Tablets
Every dog owner wants their canine’s life at its optimum, which is why many supplements exist to enable them achieve this objective. One such dog joint supplement is Cosequin DS Plus MSM Chewable Tablets. Although it is among the most popular joint supplements available for dogs today, this product benefits from a lot of positive feedback from satisfied customers. Dog owners whose animals suffer from joint pain and related problems commonly use it.
Nutramax are the manufacturers of Cosequin, and they target the general joints, as well as the support health of all dogs. Therefore, it does not matter what kind your dog is, its age or size, this product will cater to joint pains, injury rehabilitation and general mobility restoration. The owners of larger dogs whose size affects their bones and joints will especially find this product useful as it alleviates pain and connective tissue degeneration. Older dogs also start experiencing problems with their joints and connective tissue, therefore, Cosequin would offer all the support necessary to restore wellbeing and mobility.
Apart from the common ingredients such as MSM, Chondroitin and Glucosamine, Cosequin contains organic sulfur and manganese. Although these mineral elements leave the product with a weird smell, they contribute immensely to the protein-based restorative process of joint rehabilitation. I would recommend combining some peanut butter if the dog is not allergic to nuts to conceal the weird smell. Otherwise, this is one of the best products in terms of your dog’s joint health and support system welfare.
- The formulation contains sulfur, which is important for the hair and skin growth of your dog.
- It comes in the form of chewable tablets that do not need food or water to administer.
- The formula fixes both new and old cartilage making it good for both old and younger dogs.
- It contains manganese, which is important in the regeneration of new cartilage.
- The price is significantly higher than other examples of the best dog joint supplements
- The presence of sulfur in this supplement puts off some dogs due to its peculiar smell.
- The tablets might be a problem for smaller dogs.
6. Genuine Naturals Hip and Joint Supplement for Dogs
With age, your dog becomes less energetic and the muscles and joints become weary. The result is intense pain, reduced mobility and general lethargy. However, all these problems can go away if you consider using soft chews from Genuine Naturals.
I recommend Genuine Naturals Glucosamine, Chondroitin, and MSM, with natural Turmeric chews as they consist of a complete package for both young and older dogs. The natural formulation consists of organic turmeric, MSM, Glucosamine, Chondroitin, and yucca extract. Apart from alleviating joint pain and inflammation, Genuine Naturals soft chews reverse hip dysplasia and other problems caused by arthritis. The results are increased mobility, reduced inflammation and better quality of life for your dog.
The multiple ingredients and easy to use form of this dog joint supplement means even fussy dogs or those with small mouths and guts can benefit from its healthy combination of ingredients. Say good-bye to joint diseases, arthritis, and injury or damage to cartilage with Genuine Naturals soft chews. Those stiff joints in your senior dog could also benefit from this unique product without compromising in terms of side effects or discomfort.
Here are the main ingredients:
Glucosamine - a naturally occurring substance that addresses joint and arthritis problems.
Chondroitin - a natural substance that slows down the breakdown of cartilage in dog hip and joints.
MSM - a great, natural source of sulfur believed to be effective against arthritis pain.
- It alleviates joint pain and tissue degeneration in older or large dogs.
- The supplement delivers essential minerals and vitamins to joints.
- It is formulated in easy to chew tablets for easy assimilation.
- The turmeric acts as a potent anti-inflammatory for arthritic dogs.
- The supplement contains turmeric, which irritates sensitive tissues causing discomfort.
- The color of these supplements due to turmeric might not appeal to fussy dogs.
7. Infinite Pet Hip and Joint Supplement
Joint pain and reduced mobility are some of the most common concerns among dog owners. These symptoms cause great discomfort in the dog while reducing the quality of its life. Such situations call for Infinite Pet, which is one of the best joint supplements for dogs.
Apart from the common ingredients used to reverse joint and connective tissue degeneration, Infinite Pet contains organic turmeric that reduces inflammation in animal tissue. Curcumin, which is the main ingredient in turmeric, contains some of the most potent anti-inflammatory properties in the plant kingdom.
This dog joint supplement contains MSM, Glucosamine, and Chondroitin combined with organic turmeric in a chewable tablet that comes in beef liver flavor. Turmeric also reduces the impacts of stomach parasites while boosting the dog’s immune system.
I recommend this product if your dog is fussy about the chemical flavor in most supplements. The beef liver flavor and chewable tablet form should make administration easy. That combined with the inclusion of all-natural ingredients and one of nature’s most potent anti-inflammatory agents mean that Infinite Pet will provide efficient relief with little or no side effects.
- It has turmeric, which has great anti-inflammatory properties especially in arthritic dogs.
- It comes in beef liver flavor, which all dogs love!
- The formula contains optimal levels of active ingredients in natural form to reduce allergic reactions.
- The tablets are chewable meaning you can administer the supplement anywhere without need for food or water.
- Turmeric irritates the alimentary canal of some sensitive dog breeds.
- The product is relatively expensive compared to some of the best dog joint supplements.
Things to Consider Before Buying a Joint Supplement for Dogs
When choosing which among the best joint supplement for dogs to pick, there are several considerations to make. They include;
The majority of the joint health supplements we have reviewed go for a fair price. While the joint health of your dog is important, the price of your supplement of choice must also be reasonable. Therefore, these alternatives put that into consideration.
Is it in solid or liquid form?
Most of the dog joint and hip supplements we have reviewed come in tablet form. This enables you to use them without the need for water or food. However, there are also some that come in soft gel form and make administration to smaller dogs easy. Therefore, the seven best joint supplements for dogs reviewed balance these needs perfectly making them the best bet.
As you may have realized, the majority of our dog joint supplements contain additives such as essential oils, minerals, micronutrients, and vitamins. These additives complement the joint regeneration process while preventing inflammation. Therefore, such considerations make the seven supplements reviewed an all rounded solution to the health of your dog.
While there are many supplements in the market that purport to offer the best joint health care for your dog, few deliver on the same promise. The range of the best joint supplements for dogs offers a well balanced mix of safe joint healthcare, cost effectiveness, and user friendliness that none other supplements can provide.