A Complete Guide on How to Build Muscle in Dogs
Table of Contents
When you expect your lovely little pet should amuse you with its attractive physique then surely you opt to make an attempt on its muscle building. Younger puppies could be more successful at muscle building, which is normal, as they are still in their growth. But, a grown up dog can also build muscle without any risk of harm at an age over a year or two by following some tips.
An active regimen and well-balanced diet is very much needed for building muscle. One thing you need to remember that building muscle in your dogs won’t happen overnight.
Consult with a Veterinarian to Determine the Appropriate Exercise for your Dog
Let your veterinarian decide the appropriate exercise, whether your dog is a year old – or an older one. Your vet can guide you the ideal forms of exercise which suit best to your dog as there are certain types of physical exercise may not be suitable for your dog. They are the best by profession to examine muscle growth, joints and overall development in your dog.
Here I will discuss 3 indispensable methods you need to emphasize to build muscle in dogs
- Well-Balanced Diet
- Active Regimen
- Proper Nutritional Supplements
How to Build Muscle in Dogs – Method 1 of 3
Unless there is a well-balanced diet, no quantum of physical activities can help for building dog’s muscle. The well-balanced diet should have enough all six essential nutrients namely-protein, carbohydrate, fat, vitamins, minerals, and water.
- Proteins – High protein feeds like meat and meat by-products are popular as muscle building foods. Although high protein feeds are recommended for your dog, please bear in mind that excess protein can cause problems too.
- Carbohydrates – Up to 50 percent of your dog’s daily food should come from carbohydrate. Soybeans, corn, rice, and wheat are the good source of carbohydrate. You always need to be attentive if your dog is allergic to any form of carbohydrates.
- Fats – Despite the fact that fats are bad and also the main cause of obesity, the right types of fats, like Omega fatty acids in your dog’s diets can help to keep skin texture healthy.
- Minerals –Phosphorus and calcium are critical for bone formation and bone strength. Dogs need these minerals for bone formation and muscle metabolism. To avoid muscle weakness Sodium, potassium and magnesium are very much necessary.
- Vitamins& Water– Right quantities of Vitamins with proper ratio must be made available in dog’s daily feed. Vitamins play a crucial role in the proper absorption of fats and carbohydrates.
How to Build Muscle in Dogs – Method 2 of 3
Building Muscle with Active Regimen
Once you are on set with muscle building program we suggest several options with proper conditioning exercises. You may continue, which you have already been doing with your dog, such as agility exercises, a daily swim or jogging program. Let’s have a look some of the popular exercise for muscle building.
- Weight pulling is construed by many as an effective way to strengthen the chest and front part of the body.
- Treadmills for dogs can be a rewarding exercise for your dog to build muscle.
- Running on Stairs at a baseball or football park goes a long way in building chest muscle.
- Playing with other dogs of the same variety and size will mean a lot of physical exertion and fun for your dog and help to develop robust muscles.
- Ball Games is an awesome exercise and sometimes your dog is running uphill to retrieve the ball, that really helps to build muscle.
- Tug-of-war is a game that your dog will feel excited about and can build your dog’s leg as well as shoulder muscles.
- Jumping over objects not only build muscle but also enhance agility. Please bear in mind that the height is not more than a foot off the ground.
- Spring pole training with the weighted vest is an excellent exercise for your dog to develop muscle which they love to play by themselves without your participation.
- Running alongside your Bike is an effective cardiovascular exercise that will help develop the leg and shoulder muscles.
- Swimming is one of the best exercises for a dog to build muscle.
In between exercise sessions your dog should get sufficient rest. Also, the right dog supplements are very much crucial for muscle building.
How to Build Muscle in Dogs – Method 3 of 3
Proper Nutritional Supplements
- Provide additional supplements like water, vitamins, proteins and minerals that your dog still may lack beside its regular feed during muscle building process.
- Try adding amino acids as well as Omega-3 fats which you can typically get that from your veterinarian.